- Got up at 8:00 and had breakfast.
- Fiddled on the laptop for a while.
- Went to the beach (Praia Vermelha right next to Sugarloaf) at about 11:00 and went swimming—mostly floated on my back in the ocean with my arms spread out like Cristo Redentor—trying to darken my white armpits.
- Walked back to the hostel and showered.
- Took small load of laundry to laundromat—they'll deliver it here by 7:00.
- Walked a short distance to my favorite hole-in-the-wall diner. She just gave me a thumbs up and I nodded. She dished up my usual and I grabbed a Coke out of the cooler. I already had my five-reais-bill (pronounced hey-ice) out. Good deal, good meal.
- Got back to hostel, fiddled on laptop, then crawled into hammock in the hostel patio.
- Read chapter from Licensed to Kill, then took nap.
- Still in hammock typing this blog entry (5:30 PM), and listening to the thunder for the past hour or so.
- Will leave Rio on Monday, at the latest—I've had about as much of this as I can take.
- Will probably take bus straight to Iguazu Falls—just over a twenty-hour ride. Can't wait for an entire day of air conditioning. Cool air has this great property of not holding much moisture.
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Posted by Jay Williams at 11:29 AM