Thursday, July 3, 2008

What's Better Than Christmas?

The Third of July, that's what! I got a box full of goodies today: Nikon D3, iPod, headphones, MicroTrack II digital audio recorder, pocket knives, and various and sundry other items. It has been three full months since I was robbed of some of my most valuable items. My 5-year visa for Brazil cannot be replaced. Still, I'm very happy today. I can once again get cash from an ATM—that will be a pleasant change.

FedEx wanted almost $900 to fly the box from Seattle down to Buenos Aires, but the USPS did it for around $120. It got here in one week. I feared theft or paying monstrous import taxes, but I lost sleep for no reason. The box appeared untouched. All items were inside and in tact. I didn't pay a penny when I picked up my extremely valuable replacement items this morning.

When you ship a package from the States via USPS to Buenos Aires, Argentina, it will end up getting handled by Correo Argentino, Argentina's version of the USPS. It will end up at the post office in the barrio of Retiro. You will receive a slip in the mail apprising you of the package's arrival, which you then take to the customs portion of the post office to pick up your package.

The package of the person standing in front of me was opened and inspected. I saw a bottle of wine, but am not sure what else was there. Quite frankly, I don't know what will or won't get opened. I was told, however, by FedEx that I should declare the value of the package at a dollar amount less than $1,000 so as to avoid import taxes. Maybe I was lucky that things went so smoothly. From what I was led to believe, I got off pretty easy.

From the moment I got back to the apartment with my goodies, I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face—haven't tried, either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new stuff. It good that you still know some nice people in Tacoma. I can sense the excitement!

And its good for us too... Finally now that you have a good camera again we can expect some more National Geographic quality photos [tongue and cheek :-)].